Saturday, June 13, 2015

Post 6: Going with the Bugatti Look?

     Having started this project years ago as "The Budget Bugatti Project", it only seems appropriate that my design for the 3 wheeler take its inspiration from the Bugatti rather than from the Morgan. The trademark Bugatti pointed tail is perfect to house the single rear wheel, and the mock up done with the Bugatti 51 body looks great. The only problem is the narrowness of the body, and I want a two seater, so I will do another mockup starting from the not quite so elongated 35. We only need leg room under the hood anyway, since the engine will be up front:



    An idea to remember is to stagger the seats to give the driver extra elbow room  and the passenger extra shoulder room, like in the 1912 Isotta Frashini, which is also on my list of favorite RACERS:


or the big Bentley:


   In the course of surfing old cars sites, I ran across the 1923 Miller, which I did not know, and which probably comes closest to the look I am after, because of it's solid aluminum wheel covers, except that it is a one seater:


   But the back of my 3 wheeler is going to be high enough so that the rear wheel has sufficient space above it for the suspension to work.
    Just for comparison sake, here are the blue prints for the 1926 Morgan 3 Wheeler:


and for the Bugatti 35:



  Two very different looking beasts indeed. My goal will be to inject some of the "CLASS" of the Bugatti into the Morgan design, with a mixed flavor of Miller, Isotta Fraschini and Sunbeam thrown in for good measure

No comments:

Post a Comment