Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Post 3: The Engine, Gear Box and Drive

  I have pretty much already decided to use the Victory 1500cc V Twin that powered my own Vegas. It is a beautifully streamlined engine that doesn't look like any other V-Twin.
   It is fuel injected, which makes it extremely reliable, and it has a lot of torque. I wish I had not sold my bike for a pitance. But it's done, and I can find a used engine for around $1500 (including the gear box of course, which unlike Harley type engines, is built in):


    I like the idea of using the motorcycle gear box instead of mating a Mazda or other car gearbox to a basic engine. I have grown to really like the kick shifting on my Mini Cooper Automatic/Manual gearbox, and want o do the same on the 3 wheeler, having both a kick shift pedal and a kick shift stick. I might get rid of the clutch pedal entirely, and rely on a handle on the shift lever as some bikes have:



The shaft coming out of th Victory gearbox is going to be off centered, but hat is fine since I am planning to use a C Joint and a drive shaft to the rear wheel, with a Yamaha V Star 1100 drive:





No comments:

Post a Comment