Saturday, August 8, 2015

Post 8: A Possible easy Option

 The Morgan is using the S&S V twin and a Mazda Miata 5 speed gear box. A chain drives the single rear wheel. I am looking for a simpler solution. Also, I find the motorcycle kick shifting much simpler than the standard automobile grid shifting. My two Mini Coopers have had the Automatic transmission, with manual shifting, and I like the way it works. Push a lever backward to shift up, and forward to shift back makes more sense to me than trying to find gears on a grid. The 6  speed gear box on my Z could be confusing sometimes. 
  So, I definitely want to use a motorcycle gear box. The shift lever is going to be short and the clutch is going to be a lever on the stick:


  Engine wise, the Victory was my first choice for reasons I explained before. But I was at Landers a couple of days ago, and he had a 2001 Honda Shadow 1100 WITH 15,000 miles on sale for $2650:



  I looked at it and thought: cut this thing in half, move the rear fork unit back a few feet, extend the drive shaft by the same amount, drop the engine in the front of a chassis, put the radiator in front like an old car, and build a front end. That is a much easier built even than with the Victory motor, and a lot cheaper: Victory engines go for $1800 without exhaust or fuel injection, and I wouldn't have to buy a rear wheel and drive). Good donor bike!
  It would not look like a Morgan, but so what, it could look just like a Bugatti instead, which was my original purpose...
  My mock up doesn't even change, except for moving the engine back behind the radiator,and therefore behind the front wheels, which should actually improve the handling substantially:




  I might move the front wheels back a bit, but that will depend on actual full size mockup tests.


  Let's take a look at the parts.
  First, a really solid V Twin good looking great sounding engine with the gear box built in and a shaft drive on the left side:



   Then the rear end, that can be cut off the bike frame and grafted onto the back of the chassis:



The drive shaft and enclosing tube will need to be extended about 5 feet, and a C joint may have to be added:


      Finally, the front brake caliper and disk 



will hopefully fit the design of the front end:




No comments:

Post a Comment