Monday, August 31, 2015

Post 12: Cutting the Bike in Half

    Landers came by on Saturday and helped me figure out how to take some stuff apart I was afraid to break if I pulled on it too hard. Most everything is held with 10 mm nuts.
He helped me disconnect and unravel the wiring harness, and take it off.
Today, I took the throttle and choke cables off the handlebars, drained the radiator, and took it off the bike.
    I proceeded to cut the two tubes of the front frame just above the engine mount. I used a 6" counter rotating saw with carbide tips for most of the cut, and finished with a reciprocating saw:


I then cut most of the air intake tube built into the top of the frame:


I will need help to finish the cut so the front end doesn't just fall over.
  Next will be the cut of the lower right part of the frame, leaving the rear brake bracket attached to the rear end and the engine bracket attached to the front frame:


   Removing the top rear engine bolt should let the back end come loose with the gear drive separating from the transmission at the U-Joint:

No comments:

Post a Comment