Monday, May 16, 2016

Post 18: Sourcing out parts

  I have been seriously looking at ATV parts for a few days, especially the Yamaha Raptor 66o double wishbone front end. I found a cheap set of used left and right A arm assemblies, complete with spindles and disk brakes. I also bought the coil over shocks that went with them:



  The whole thing is actually very similar to the LOTUS front end, just lighter weight, and will hopefully be strong enough to support the V-Twin 1100 Honda ENGINE.
   That will at the very least give me an easy starting point to experiment with. If the geometry work, I can get better chromoloy arms, new joints

 
and better shocks:



   I have been looking as several options for a manual Rack and Pinion Steering, considered the VW Rabbit option




 but finally settled on a 14" unit made for dune buggies and such, with 3/4 turn and 2.5" travel from center to lock:



    I have also been checking on front tires for the 16" Fat Boy aluminum wheels. The rims are about 3 to 3.25" wide, so the choice is very limited, but Cocker has a couple of options, and I will probably get a pair of $128 Excelsior Vintage 500/525-16:


No comments:

Post a Comment